Module 4 Reflection


How can technology be used most effectively to support and assess student learning?

 When looking over the list of 20th Century classroom qualities, I realize that the list basically describes my classroom. I have had a teacher-centered, textbook-based approach to teaching and assessing. I have found myself frustrated at the fact that students don’t seem to retain the information that is being taught and there seems to be no deep understanding. I have often questioned why I couldn’t get students to think and reason, but the answer to that question is that I didn’t really give them the opportunity to do so. I was presenting the material and asking them to retain it.

I have always felt like I have done a fairly good job of incorporating technology into my lessons to enhance what I am doing in the classroom. I have had a Smartboard that I used to plan interactive lessons. I also use computer programs and apps for student math practice such as FastMath and IXL. I even have a class set of IPads that we use to practice skills and play interactive games such as Kahoot. I am realizing that there is so much more that I can do to utilize technology as a tool to foster higher order thinking and creativity in my students.

There is certainly a place for those forms of assessment, but to really challenge my students and allow them to take more ownership of their learning, I have to be more selective of the tools that I use and think more of how to challenge students. There are many ways to use technology to support and assess learning. Digital portfolios would be one of those tools. There are also other programs that allow students to create, share and collaborate, such as Google Docs. However, to use these tools, I as the teacher need to become more familiar with them. I hope to do that as I progress through this course.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 5 Reflection

Module 2 Reflection: Curricular Frameworks