Module 2 Reflection: Curricular Frameworks


            It has honestly been some time since I have given much thought to Bloom’s Taxonomy, in name at least. Of course, as a teacher, I always strive to get my students to think critically, but I haven’t thought much about the actual pyramid and all of the different levels in some time. I must also admit that I do spend a good bit of time in the knowledge, comprehension, and application levels. When pondering this, I think that at least part of the reason lies with standardized testing and the pressure that is put on teachers for their students to do well on these tests. Standards-based tests are written at the system level and required to be given. Students are given grades based on those tests, so teachers must prepare students to master them. I believe this can force teachers to have a narrowed view of student achievement and what that really means.

            One way to force myself to focus more on higher order thinking is to evaluate the questions I ask to guide my instruction and make sure they are curriculum-framing questions. I do have a focus question for each lesson which would cover the content for that lesson, but if I went into a subject with a broader question that focuses on the subject as a whole, or an essential question, my lessons would broaden with that objective in mind. After that, I would need to focus in on the objective of the unit I am teaching by asking questions about how the students might process the information and understand it better.

            One way to get students thinking, whether it is at the basic knowledge or creative level, is to use technology. Technology can be used at any level to motivate students. In the knowledge level, students can use apps that help them remember and practice skills. Students can apply knowledge with technology that would help them analyze data and put it into a graph. Students can even create products with tools such as blog software and programming. Each tool should be evaluated so that the level of thinking is appropriately reached. Teachers can think about this technology in a new way that doesn’t guide instruction, but transforms students’ thinking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 5 Reflection