Module 3: Technology Integration Fameworks


When integrating technology into my lessons, I have often thought about how the technology would enhance the learning of my students, but I didn’t really think of it in relation to Bloom’s Taxonomy and how technology can be used to foster higher order thinking. The TPACK model is one way to foster this thinking. TPACK combines content knowledge, pedagogical knowledge, and technological knowledge to enhance the teaching & learning process. It is set up as Venn diagram to show how the different areas overlap. The content knowledge section focuses on what is being taught. This addresses the understanding of the facts and content that the teacher is teaching. A teacher must fully understand the subject area that is being taught. The pedagogical section focuses on how the content is being taught. This would include theories, instructional design strategies, and possibly project based learning. The final section is technological knowledge. This area deals with how to select and use technology to enhance the quality of the content. As these layers overlap, scaffolding of learning occurs


Another model of teaching is the SAMR model. The SAMR model is set up as a ladder. As you go up the ladder, higher order thinking and collaboration are increasing. At the lowest rung, there is Substitution. At this level, technology is used, but there is no change to the task. An example of this would be to use a word processing tool instead of hand-writing a story. Augmentation would be the next rung on the ladder. The student would still substitute technology, but with some functional improvement. An example of this would be using a word processor that has editing capabilities such as spell-check. The third rung of the ladder crosses over into a transformation of the task. This rung is Modification. Modification allows for the task to be redesigned. An example of this would include the student writing the story in Google Docs and then sharing the story with peers. Feedback can be given, which results in collaboration. The final rung of the ladder is Redefinition. Redefinition allows for the creation of an entirely new task. An example of this would be to turn their story into a multi-media production that they could publish and share. This model is  closely associated with Bloom’s Taxonomy because the levels of learning line up with the rungs of the ladder, with Analyzing, Evaluating, and Creating correlating to Modification and Redefinition in the SAMR model.


However I decide to integrate technology into my teaching, I must also consider the standards for technology integration which are as follows:

  1. Empowered Learner
  2. Digital Citizen
  3. Knowledge Constructor
  4. Innovative Design
  5. Computational Thinker
  6. Creative Communicator
  7. Global Collaborator


This module has helped me understand how the various technology integration frameworks apply to the lessons I will present in that I will consider not only using technology to enhance the lesson, but also consider how I can use technology to make my students better thinkers and collaborators. I will ask myself how I can move past basic knowledge and into the upper levels of the SAMR model into Modification and Redefinition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 5 Reflection

Module 2 Reflection: Curricular Frameworks